Sunday, September 27, 2009

Princess Pointers

WAKE UP...it is time for another princess tutorial! This week's princess is Sleeping Beauty. Her popular pink gown has some very angular features. She has an off the shoulder pointed collar and a small, pointed peplum. These elements are actually very easy to add to the Simply Sweet jumper dress.


Dark Pink Bodice: I didn't add any embellishments or make any modifications to the bodice pattern. Rather, I let the fabric do all the work in making the bodice look formal and princess-like. I used Jennifer's gorgeous Amanda Fleur from her Pretty Please line. She has so many large scale, monochromatic damasks and florals that are absolutely perfect for this type of pattern play. Just center the design and you have instant interest!

White Straps: The straps are a modification of the ruffled elasticized straps included with the pattern. Print out the desired size, but don't cut.


The first step is to draw a new lengthwise foldline. Using a straight edge, draw a line at the position of the seam allowance (dashed line) on the bottom left hand side. Then, align the straight edge with the top edge and extend the line over to the right hand side. Finally, connect the bottom right hand corner to the end of top line.


Cut out the modified pattern. The original pattern is cut on one fold, but this one will be cut on 2 folds (this is because we only traced one side of the pattern).



Stack 2 pieces of white fabric together and fold in half. Fold in half again so that you have 8 layers.


Place the new foldline edge and the top edge of the pattern on the folded edges of the fabric. Pin into place. Cut around the bottom and slanted side edges.



Unfold and separate the strap pieces (which should look like tall hexagons). Fold each piece in half lengthwise, right sides facing inward. Stitch 1/4" from the slanted side edges.



Trim the seam allowances near the point. Turn right side out. Stitch 7/8" from the folded edge to form the casing (1/2" for dolly).



Add the elastic as described on page 15 of the eBook.



Insert the straps as described on page 16, but have the seamed (pointy) edges facing inward rather than outward.



Turn the bodice right side out and flip the pointed edges out to the side.


Light Pink Peplum:
Cut two squares of pink fabric for the peplum. The dimensions I recommend are:

Little girl (6m - 3y) - 13" x 13"
Big girl (4 - 8) - 15" x 15"
Dolly (15" - 18") - 9" x 9"


Place the squares together, right sides facing and align all of the edges. Stitch 1/4 from the edges, all the way around.



Fold the stitched square in half, and then in half again. Press the folds with an iron to make nice, visible creases.



Unfold the stitched square. Using a plate as a template, draw a circle in the center. The plate diameters I recommend are:

Little girl (6m - 3y) - 8"-9" salad plate
Big girl (4 - 8) - 10" -11" dinner plate
Dolly (15" - 18") - 5.5" - 6" saucer or bowl

If you don't have plates this size, search your household for other circular objects to trace.



Pin the layers together. Make a slit in the center of the squares, and carefully cut through both layers at the circular marking.

Turn the square right side out and press the seams. Run two rows of basting stitches around the circular edges.



Pull the bobbin threads to gather the circle and align the raw edges of the peplum with the bottom edges of the bodice. Arrange the gathering so that the points are sticking up at the sides and the centers of the front and back.



Zig-zag stitch over the edges to "set" the gathers in place.



Remove the pins and gathering threads.



Add the skirt as described on page 51.


This makes for a light, comfy princess dress. For added warmth, the dress can be worn over a pink leotard.

OK, which princess do you want next???

19 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow...how do you figure this stuff out??? In your spare time??? Which would be when???
Absolutely amazing! I love the way you did the sleeve thing too! Very cute! Thanks Carla for the directions!

Dawn said...

Awesome-one of my daughters mentioned wanting to be Sleeping Beauty for Halloween so this is perfect for me!! Thank you so much. Not all the pictures loaded for me though-not sure if it's my computer or not.

...t. said...

Yeah, Carla has spare time. I don't know how she does it but I'm glad she does. our AG doll is sure to have a better wardrobe than me in no time.
Excellent job!!!

teresajoy said...

Carla, WOW!! I love how you come up with these!!! The sleeves are genius!!! HMMM,,, which one should you do next...How about an Ariel?

Marah said...

I love it, this is awesome, especially since Lizzie is getting Chrissa for her birthday! Oooh can we have Belle next ppppuuuuhhhllleeeeeaaase!!!!

Shannon said...

Genius! I've made this one, and I have to say it was no where NEAR this simple! You're absolutley GENIUS! No more silly pattern pieces for me! Thank you - 100 times thank you!

UM... which princess next? I think Tinkerbell!

HeatherSue said...

I love the sleeves! That is perfect! You make everything so easy! How about Belle next?

HeatherSue said...

...or Ariel, or Tinkerbell!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks! I'd love some ideas for Ariel. And then Tink, and then.....

Nancy said...

Belle or Ariel next, please. . .


I am going to look into entering our State Fair.

Shelli said...

Simply amazing, Carla...I want to be like you when I grow up!

Kings said...

WOW! I'm so glad I procrastinated making these for DD--you make it sooo much simpler! Thank you! Any other princess...just work your way through them :)

Tina said...

Thanks for another princess. You make it so easy. First with the pattern then with these great adjustments. Next hummm.. I say Belle

Leslie said...

Another great tute!! How about Jasmine for the next one?

Danielle said...

Thank you Carla! We are going to Disney Oct 15th and I thought I had all the outfits planned out for my little girl..well now I'm making her a Sleeping Beauty dress! lol! I finished the bodice last night, just gotta sew the peplum and skirt to the bodice today...so quick and easy! I love all your patterns!

mgmsmommy said...

ooh I would love seeing a version for Belle.

...t. said...

Well, I might have convinced Little to be Belle for Halloween so I'm going w/ the Belle votes LOL.

Jonathan said...

Adorable!
My dd just told me she wants to be Belle so Belle gets my vote! :-)

tinkerbellemommy said...

I vote for you to do all the princesses, I'm going to make them all. But my heart lies with Tink, just in case you didn't notice. :)