Tuesday, December 9, 2008

In that mode...

I've been hyperfocused on my latest eBook for the last few days. I get into kind of a weird trance when I am at this phase in the process. All I can think about is finishing the eBook. Laundry is piling up, my hair is getting greasy, and Louie is disassembling things right and left. Thankfully, I have an understanding husband who is keeping us fed and withholding comment about my hair.

This "mode" is nothing new. I used to get myself in the same state back in my science days. It was especially bad when I would write grant proposals. I'd usually put off the boring paperwork until the dead last minute, and would end up in fighting with the departmental secratary's typewriter in the middle of the night. The lack of sleep would make me terribly emotional and completely antisocial. It was always such a good feeling to get the fat envelope sent off and grab a shower and a long nap.

My eBook writing zone is a much more blissful state. It is really a joy to write about sewing and crafting. Bodices and bows are so much more fun to draw than enzymatic pathways. Any deadlines are self-imposed, and it isn't the end of the world if I go ahead and go to bed when my eyes start to ache. In this case, I'm really pushing to get this eBook finished in time for holiday sewing projects.

Since I am sooooooo close to finished, I'll go ahead and disclose what I've been working on...


I've been wanting to make a vest pattern for the longest time. Louie wore a prototype to my brother's wedding last April (poor kid always cries at weddings).

I'm very excited about this eBook! Vests are hot right now! And they aren't just for dress-up, either! I love the look of an oversized vest over a big T-shirt - very retro 80's! I'm including options for collars, mock pockets, and ties/belts in the back.

These vests super-duper easy to make, too. They are definitely good for instant gratification! Speaking of which, the ties are made from this eBook by my friend Sherrie, aka PatchworKids. Talk about an easy, adorable project!

OK, back to putting the finishing touches on my eBook. I'm really looking forward to washing my hair tonight!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

That is TOO cute! Can't wait to see the eBook! Good luck finishing it up! And, enjoy your shower and nap! :)

Unknown said...

How darling! You just had to add another project to your to-do list didn't you!
GO TEAM CARLA!

Kris said...

Carla, wow! That pattern is fantasttic! You blow me away with all of the sizes listed in one book, too. Such great value!!!!

Love Louie's face at the wedding. Might look sad, but he's absolutely adorable. :)