Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A blur of fabric, friends, and fun!

I'm back from the 2011 Spring International Quilt Market in Salt Lake City! It was such an amazing trip. Not only was the setting gorgeous, but I got to spend time (not enough, but I'll take what I can get) with so many good friends. And of course, the displays of fabric were overwhelmingly stunning. My only regret is that I only took a few pictures. That always happens - I get to running my mouth and forget I have a camera! Anyways, between my little camera and a few pics I grabbed from facebook friends, I have enough to scrap together a blog post.


Photobucket

My dear friend and tester Jeanne picked me up at the airport and immediately took me on a fantastic tour of SLC. I got to see downtown, the beautiful surrounding area, and a couple of fabric shops...all before lunch!


Photobucket

We had a very yummy lunch at the famous Ruth's Diner. Here we are outside. Yeah, I'm standing on a curb, and Jeanne is still a good 6" taller. No fair.


Photobucket

Jeanne's little daughter is an absolute angel child! She is so beautiful and sweet, and smart too! Check out the welcome note she wrote for Jennifer!


Photobucket

Thursday was our first big work day. We went over to the convention center and picked up our giant box of gorgeousness so we could get ready for our Schoolhouse Presentation.


Photobucket

For my science friends...giving a Schoolhouse is like giving a talk at a national meeting. You get up in front of a big group of your peers and talk about your latest breakthroughs. We made the Sis Boom Schoolhouse a group effort - Jen talked about her new book, Madeline presented the latest fabric lines, and I of course plugged patterns. Above is a pic of Jen out in the hall, waiting for showtime. She was as cool as a cucumber, but I have to admit I got a little nervous. It has been a long time since I have been in front of a group like that, but I settled right down once I saw the friendly faces streaming into the room.


Photobucket

It didn't hurt that we were handing out fat quarters...those babies would thrill any audience!


Photobucket

On Friday, Jennifer had her book signing. So many great friends turned out ! Pictured above is Jennifer with Jennifer from Bugs and Bees (and yes, she made that Patricia Tunic with her own two hands). Don't they look like sisters?


Photobucket

After the book signing, we were interviewed by Heidi from the Quilt Home crew! We talked about the new Sis Boom fabrics and our ePatterns, which are sold on their site. It was so much fun talking to her! We'll let you know when the video is live.

We managed to get in LOTS of socializing, of course. Every night we had a dinner or a meetup to attend. It was so great seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Plus, the food was great everywhere we went!


Photobucket

Now I'm not one to pose for pics with every sewing celebrity I meet, but I just HAD to get a shot with Char from Crap I've Made. She is my bloggy hero - funny, interesting, mildy crass - and she is exactly the same in person!

Oh...did you notice the dresses we were wearing on book signing day? That pattern is in the works and should be ready in the next few weeks...I just need to come down from my Rocky Mountain Quilt Market High and transition back into work mode!

...and by the way, I was not in full-out Snookie mode - that is someone's head, not my bangs in that last shot (don't let Char tell you otherwise)!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! That looks like so much fun!

Amy said...

Looks like you are your own little whirlwind of fun! It was SO wonderful to meet you. And I MUST have that shift dress. I was almost too mesmerized by it to talk coherently to Jennifer when I met her!

Charity said...

I've never really been a clothes sewer. But I am curently sewing the Jamie dress. I hope to have pictures to post soon. All I have left to do is the straps, deciding on an allternating color. I have to say that I am loving the pattern. I can't believe I'm saying this. But I can't wait to see more.
Glad to see you had a wonderful time at market.

Cole's Corner said...

Looks like fun!!!

Cathy said...

Love the photos and fun you had...so glad you got to talk and socialize with so many people! And you know the soft spot I have for you and Jennifer...the dynamic duo! Looking forward to the Shift too! Whahoo!

Sew Pretty Dresses said...

I wish I could have been there! You girls gotta do Houston! Okay and now I am squinting at the screen at Jennifer's dress. It's so cute! Well she's so cute and so are YOU! I just told her I am DYING for a new dress from you two! I cannot wait!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Look how shiny my face is! And those crutches? To DIE for! ;)

You are darling! So glad to finally meet you!

Jeanne said...

Lily and I had a wonderful time with you Carla! I wish Quilt Market was in Salt Lake City every year. Love you! Carla, Jennifer, and Madeline looked gorgeous in their shift dresses! I can't wait for the pattern.

Hannah Anderson said...

Is the dress pattern ready yet? Too cute!