Today we welcome Sarah of Prairie Girl Knits to the blog! Showing you a GREAT and fun use for the FREE Rachel Reindeer Pattern!
What??? What happened to poor old Rudolph? Well, let me tell you! There's a new reindeer in town, and her name is Rachel! Rachel Reindeer is a sweet new free pattern from Sis Boom. Designed by Jeanine Thomlinson (who although I've never met, I feel like she's practically my neighbour because we live only a few towns away from each other here on the prairies), Rachel is a fun, quick sew sure to please anyone this holiday season!
I'm sure I don't have to tell you how much I love sewing patterns from Sis Boom/Scientific Seamstress! They are always such a treat to put together. As soon as I saw this latest offering from them I quickly became obsessed with the idea of a Reindeer Wreath. So here I am to tell you all about how I got that obsession from a vague notion bouncing around in my head to cheerily hanging on my door!
First things first. As soon as I printed of the pattern I realized that Rachel in her original size was going to end up being one mighty HUGE wreath because I knew I wanted to do nine reindeer - eight for Santa's sleigh and of course one more for Rudolph (or in this case Rachel). So, I decreased the pattern to 75%. I figured that would give me a balance of a nice size of reindeer but not be too horrendously tedious to sew.
|Ready to start!|
Sadly, I had nary a scrap of Christmas fabric in my stash, having used up all of it last year making the annual ornaments for my kids. So off to the fabric store I went. I was pretty happy to be hitting up a 50% off sale at Fabricland and thought I'd go ahead and buy 9 different fabrics. Once at the store though another inspiration hit me. I could do pairs of reindeer in four different fabrics and then a totally different one for Rachel making her stand out of the crowd even more! I bought .2m of each of my choices and that was more than plenty for my little 75% sized Rachels.
|A little off on the stitching. Once at the machine I could barely see my sewing lines and I was going crosseyed trying to see where to sew...|
I carefully traced my first Rachel with my silver chaco marker. Ha. Fooled me. I couldn't even see the lines. So then I tried my pink Frixion pen. Nope. Finally I dug through the boys bag of markers and grabbed a purple washable Crayola marker. Yes! I could see where I'm supposed to sew! Whoot, whoot!!!! I really need to remedy the marking choices I have on my sewing desk. They're woefully inadequate.
|All turned and getting their stuffing|
I sewed these little beauties up following the instructions for sewing, turning and stuffing. Then I had a problem on my hands. Nine cute little reindeer with no clue how I was going to get them to form a wreath. I started by stitching them one hoof to the next hoof, but quickly realized they were just going to flop about. So then I stitched them from one chest to the next reindeer's base of tail. Closer, but not there yet. Still too floppy to stay in a nice circle. Frustration was beginning to get the better of me.
|Stitching hoof to hoof|
|All my supplies are gathered for my final steps|
|Embroidery hoop is covered and reindeer are all attached|
|Almost done. Just a few more final touches left!
Because I had some left over space at the top on either side of Rachel I thought that I would fill it in with some fabric bows. For the bows I cut strips of red broadcloth 6" wide by 26" long and sewed them together angling at each of the ends then tied them in a bow and tacked it onto the hoop the same way that I had done the reindeers. I added a loop of ribbon at the back behind Rachel so I could easily hang the wreath.
|All done and ready to put on the door!|