It's Cathy here and I just want to say that it is winter! I am sure for many of you, I don't need to remind you of this. I know many people enjoy the crisp cold air and many outdoor sports and activities that the winter offers. Me not so much anymore but with chattering teeth on a cold afternoon, I did bring my daughters to the movie theater to see Disney's Frozen. We all thoroughly enjoyed the entire movie and I even bought the sound track. I am so looking forward to it coming out in DVD and I even heard a rumor that it is coming to Broadway!!! Yaaaa!
Carla provided a few modifications to the pattern itself which we are going to make available to you (please see below). Both Jeanine and I used them to make a casual dress and an Elsa-inspired dress. Perfect for layering, playtime and dress-up!!! Would you like to see them?
I put a blue short sleeve tee underneath but you could really layer it with a peasant top, long sleeve shirt or simply wear a cardigan sweater over top. (In an upcoming blog post, I am going to show you how I did the appliques for the dress.)
Before I set you free with the modifications below, let me show you how I did the "cape" part. I ordered a yard of sheer fabric (mine had a little sparkle to it). I trimmed the edges ....
and curved the two bottom corners. I was very technical and used an upside down American Girl doll table...lol. You can use any rounded surface such as a plate. This gives the bottom of the cape a rounded appearance. I simply traced and cut:
Next, I set my machine up to gather along the top edge. I pulled out the bobbin thread, set my machine to the longest stitch (5) and loosened the tension (1). I actually make my top thread a different color than my bobbin thread so I don't accidentally pull on the wrong one. I stitched about 3/8" from the raw edge along the top of the cape and pulled on the bobbin thread to gather the cape.
Next I cut a piece of fabric the length of the top of the back bodice, which was about 5 or 6". I used matching fabric. This will become the binding piece for the cape:
For the width, I made mine about 4" wide but I would recommend making it about 5" wide so that when you fold it, it comes out to be about 1 1/4" wide.
First, I folded the short ends in so that the piece is about 1" shorter than the width of the back bodice. Press and keep those ends fold in. Next I folded the piece in half lengthwise, wrong sides together, and pressed it. Then I unfolded it. Next, I folded both raw edges in to the center and pressed it again. Then I refolded it in the center. This is also how I make seam binding. Here is a picture of it folded:
I inserted the gathered top of the cape between the folded binding piece and pinned it:
Then I simply stitched from one end to the other which captures the gathered cape and closes the ends.Here is the binding attached:
Next, I used my snap tool to add three snaps to the cape....
Here they are done. I used them to align the snaps on the back bodice (fashion fabric):
Make sure you add the matching snaps about 2 to 2.5" below the top raw edge. This will leave you room to assemble the bodice. Here is where I attached mine:
Final picture! Here is the back bodice before I did the side seams. I wanted to see how long the cape would be. It does touch the floor. You could definitely trim the length once you try it on.
SO HERE ARE THE MODIFICATIONS:
There were only a few modifications for this look. Here are the directions done by Carla:
The construction for the dress remains the same despite the changes.
Here is Jeanine's version of the dress!
Hi all! I decided to take the modifications and make everyday style tops for my girlies :) My kids haven't seen Frozen, and are not really all that into dressing up yet. But I LOVE a sweetheart neckline! So here are what the mods look like in an everyday top, and I think you will agree, this tutorial has a LOT of potential!
This first one I made for my oldest and followed the new tutorial directions:
My very active oldest would not turn to the camera at all or put her book down.
For the cheeks I rounded the dip a little for a more sweetheart look and I did the Simply Sweets flutter sleeves:
We Hope you enjoyed this little tutorial for how to change up the Simply Sweet!!!
Coming up in February we will be having a bit of fun with books and sewing combined! (Two things we love!)
We hope you will join in on the fun!