I really do adore the fit and construction of the Katie Fancy Pants, but for summer the kiddo needed some shorts! I really do like 'play' length shorts for everyday.
When we were invited to join Shorts on the Line I knew the exact tutorial I wanted to do for you all! (Since I have heard many requests for turning the Katie's and Judy's into shorts)
This tutorial has 2 pictures! Can I even call it a tutorial with only 2 pictures? Anyways, tutorial or not, this is EASY to do! (and I don't know about you but come summertime I like easy sews a lot!)
Step one, line up your front and back pattern pieces and then put a ruler across the narrowest part - that is the knee(ish) length. If you want longer or shorter - raise or lower the placement of the ruler.
Step 2 compare the new "bottom hem" width with the facings and take an even amount off both sides of the facing so it matches up with the width of your new Bottom.
Then you sew the pants (now shorts) up exactly as described in the pattern! There are no changes to construction at all!
My daughter's hips are a little bit narrow so I am hoping it means she should be able to wear these next summer too! WAHOO!
Happy sewing!!!!! Come and join us on facebook in our LAB group for even more fun!
Here is the Shorts on the Line schedule so you can check out all the awesome! :
- 7/28 - Inder Loves Folk Art & Fake It While You Make It
- 7/29 - Made & Sew Chibi
- 7/30 - Delia Creates & Casa Crafty & A Happy Stitch
- 7/31 - Noodlehead & Things for Boys & Sew Delicious
- 8/01 - Clever Charlotte & Thread Theory & Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky!
- 8/04 - Girl Like The Sea & Buzzmills & Make It Perfect
- 8/05 - Ada Spragg & You and Mie & Siestas and Sewing
- 8/06 - Groovy Baby and Mama & Caila Made & Cali Faye Collection
- 8/07 - Skirt as Top & Katy and Laney & The Scientific Seamstress
- 8/08 - Petit a Petit and Family & Max California & Melly Sews