Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Dolly Hugs for Haiti

Yesterday a.m. I was getting my daily dose of Craft Gossip, and I came across a post about something very bright and beautiful. The Dolly Donations Blog offers free patterns and instructions for making sweet dollies to give to charities. Spearheaded by Sarah Hanson, a talented and energetic artist, the drive brings crafters from around the globe together to provide comfort to children in need. Currently, they are working to make 181 dolls for the Abundant Ground Foundation, which will provide the dolls to Haitian orphans.



I used Sarah's pattern to make six little sweeties (3 boys and 3 girls) to donate. They were so fun and simple to put together. It was a dreary day in Maryland, but the bright fabrics and cheerful smiles brought sunshine to my heart!




Louie helped me pick out the fabrics and hair colors for the boys, and also helped with the stuffing process. I love his choices! We used a soft denim for the legs, so they are all wearing jeans. Doing the project together really gave us the opportunity to talk about helping others, and to count our blessings.




The girlies are all decked out in Sis Boom dresses and stripey stockings! I had so much fun with their hairstyles. I used pompoms for the pink and yellow haired girls' "puffs" and a fun mix of yarn for the purple haired girl's ponytail.




These dollies are made from a very soft and cuddly flannel. I used my embroidery machine to stitch out the faces prior to cutting the fabric. I digitized the faces myself - the girl has long eyelashes and a dainty mouth, and the boy has an impish grin. If you have an embroidery machine, and would like the files, I'm happy to share (bear in mind they aren't perfect, I just don't think like a digitizer when it comes to jump stitches, etc.). Just drop me a line (carla(at)scientificseamstress.com) and tell me what format you need :) .

The donation deadline is March 31st, so you still have lots of time to sew up some sweet dollies for this cause. For inspiration, check out the Dolly Donations Flickr Pool. This is such a wonderful way to reach across the world and give a warm hug to a child. And just by looking at your finished creation, you will feel hugged back a million times over!


8 comments:

Shannon said...

they are SO CUTE! Great job, Carla! I'm sure they're going to be greatly loved!

...t. said...

These are just wonderful Carla! I think it is so awesome to be able to sew for a good cause. It is very generous of you to offer your digitized face, now if I can just convince DH I need an embroidery machine...

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lorie Fuller said...

Just darling, Carla. You have such a loving heart.

Lorie

Anonymous said...

Super cute! Such a nice idea : )

Cathy said...

Oh Carla! Those dolls are just darling! I know they will be loved and cherished....how sweet of you and Louie to care and share with such love!!! Hugs!!!

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams said...

Thank you so much Carla, they are lovely! I will be adding them to the DD Blog this week (love the girl's pom pom pig tails and socks sooooo cute!)

Thanks again!

Sarah

Dolly Donations
http://dollydonations.blogspot.com/

Nancy said...

Love everything about these!