Sunday, February 28, 2010

Clean Sweep...




With all the projects I've had in the works, my sewing room has been getting progressively more and more cluttered and well...downright dirty. It was really starting to get to me (and other members of the household), so I decided to do a big spring cleaning in there yesterday. The room is small, which is bad and good...bad in the sense that it closes in on me when I have too much stuff out, but good in the sense that if forces me to deal with the mess as it happens. Problem is, I tend to just put up the big stuff and let the little stuff (like buttons, beads, pins, and dust) stay wherever it lands. I've been putting off the vacuuming because I really didn't want to suck up any of the good stuff with the crevice tool. Yesterday I decided something had to give, so I went a little crazy ripped out all of the carpet.



Underneath the icky carpet (which was passable when we moved here, but quickly became beaten down and sullied with gatorade and tacky glue) was what every homeowner hopes to find in an older house...nice hardwood floors! They could stand refinishing, but that doesn't make a shred of sense in this room. In fact, I think the floor is absolutely perfect for a work room! I'm looking forward to adding some scratches and paint blobs of my own in the coming years :) .



The room feels so much warmer, and I love that my chair's wheels are actually functional! I know I'll deal with the little bits and bobs better now that I can just sweep them into to a pile and sort, too.




I love my bare floor...now I'm ready for a bare yard! Come on spring!!!



10 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great space, and a discovery of hard wood floors to boot! I always love to see where creative women work, it's inspiring!

The Momtastic Stitcher said...

Yep carpet in the craft room just has to go...waiting on the next redo session in our house....I am with you on the yard though walked around outside yesterday with the camera just hoping to see bulb shoots popping up!

Cathy said...

OHhhh Carla...I love the great "new" floor!!! Everything looks so spiffy now! You are a fount of energy though.... Carla = mc2

Laura said...

LOVE IT :) I wish I had hardwood floors :(

Juanita said...

Oh, wow! I wish things like that would happen to me!

thesewingfool said...

For my sewing room which has carpeting and unfortunately no hardwood under it, I cut a piece of MDF big enough to roll around. I then put "stick on" tiles I got 4/ $1 at the local dollar store on it so it looks prettier than just MDF, the under side I just painted with whatever paint I had lying around, brown in this case. A sturdier alternative to the traditional plastic mat from the office supply store.

Tom said...

Love your room!
I NEED to clear the carpet out of my sewing craft room. Like yours it (the carpet) was passable when we moved in, but not so much anymore. I KNOW there are pretty hardwood floors under there! The thought of moving everything out to remove it though scares me!
I need some of your energy!

bincajay said...

I love it. You are motivating me to do the job I need to do next week, which is organizing my sewing area. I can't even work on the projects I need to finish.

I am curious about your thread holder on the wall. Is that something you made or is it something you bought. It is so large. I really like it. If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to hear about it!

Madeline Rhodes said...

Carla, how inspiring! Everytime I get creative in my office it looks like a bomb went off. My carpet is FULL of glitter, thanks to J pag! (not that I'm complaining it looks really pretty!)
Well, Going up there in a bit to clean sweep it, thanks to you! xo

Brenda said...

Congrats on your new floor - it looks great!